Thursday, January 10, 2013

A New Year: A Different (and yet still the same) Me

Good morning,
It's been a not-so-smooth week at work but I'm not gonna let that get me down or stop me from working out. In fact, it has made me work out harder - trying to get rid of the negativity, stress, hurt & anger. 

On the way into work this morning, I reaffirmed this journey back to me. This journey is not one of just physical awareness -- it's way more spiritual than physical. Yes, I am working out and getting rid of the access weight but I am also working out my mind, heart and soul...getting rid of the access baggage that hinders my growth and weight loss. I've come to realize that these two spectra work hand in hand.  If my mind isn't right, my physical fitness will never be right. If I don't grow spiritually, how can I grow personally and get back to me (which is what this is all about, right)? 

I had a long conversation with myself and God in the short 10 minute drive to work.  I decided to go back to the basics. What does that mean? In order for me to make changes and accept certain things about myself and others, I need to understand me. What makes me tick? Why do I act and react to different stimuli? What the what is Sonya doing?

Few people know that when I lived in Charlotte, NC and attended University Park Baptist Church, I became a Lay Counselor. My reasons were few and I must admit, selfish. I felt that in order to be a better parent, there were some things I needed to deal with. I also needed to be able to communicate effectively with my child. I felt one way to achieve this was becoming a Lay Counselor. What I failed to realize was that this was God leading me down a path totally outside of the scope of my spiritual existence (or so I thought).

When I was in my Lay Counseling training, we were required to read many a books but one that made the biggest impression upon me is called Inside Out by Dr. Larry Crabb. Basically, change requires discipline and obedience - this should be no surprise as we learned it earlier in our course. It also requires the person to take a hard look in the mirror, looking beyond the image. The surface issues bring about an awareness that change must occur. One has to take a closer look and go deeper in order to see what needs to be changed; how change should take place then implement the necessary change(s).

 Dr. Crabb takes you on a journey of self-discovery. After reading this book, you can't help but have changed. It's a step towards your own "journey back to me".


Sonya, what are you getting at? In order to change the physical, you also have to be ready to change the spiritual.  Mind + Body + Soul = Me #journeyback2me


Thanks for letting me ramble....Have a great day....and remember: change starts on the Inside Out!



No comments:

Post a Comment